The Library was started by Miss Florence Smith along with her group of Camp Fire Girls. The Girls went from house to house collecting donations to start a library. They collected about $100.00 for the new library. The library was located in a small room in the back of the old Village Hall. It was located at 4 Crystal Street.
Mrs. Elden Weaver led a movement to become tax supported by referendum. A six member board was elected.
The Library was offered the larger room of the Village Hall when the fire department moved to their new location. The Library remodeled and redecorated and moved into the new room with the help of the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.
The village moved their location to 441 Main Street. They offered the Library the entire first floor at 4 Crystal Street.
The Library rented a store two doors down from the main building to alleviate the crowded conditions. The rented space was also used for board meetings and juvenile story hours and programs. Also in 1976 a referendum was passed for a new building which would be part of the planned Community Center.
With the help of 100 volunteers, the library moved to its new location at 255 Stonegate Road.
The children’s collection was moved to the remodeled lower level. New shelves were added to the adult section and also a serious study room was set aside.
The Library acquired its first Apple computer and printer for patron use.
The Cary Public Library became the Cary Area Public Library District as a result of a referendum passed to include unincorporated Cary and a small portion of unincorporated Crystal Lake.
The District also became a member of the North Suburban Library System.
Ground was broken for the new Library donated by Tom Decker.
The Cary Area Public Library District moved to it’s new location at 1606 Three Oaks Road, Cary, Illinois. The Library building was donated by Thomas Decker, local developer. The building bears his name on the front of the building. The Library moved to 1606 Three Oaks Road in March, 1999. The building was dedicated on July 30, 1999.
The Library celebrated 50 years of service to the community. We continue to grow each year and add new items daily. We strive to stay current with the needs of the community by providing internet access and new and upcoming popular items for loan.
The Library celebrated its 10 year anniversary in the new building on Three Oaks. We renovated the current building replacing carpeting, roof, paint, lighting, and furniture. We continue to strive to have the latest technology and add computers and software for patron use.
The Library underwent another major renovation. We added Drive-up book return and pick-up, Study rooms, conference room, Makerspace/multi-purpose room, Marketplace for new materials, additional self-checkout machine, new automated return system, new layout of shelving. One of the things patrons wanted from the Library is increased programming. Our answer to that was converting what is now a staff office and the little-used storytime room into one dividable space to use for more programs for all ages. We provide opportunities with our art, craft, DIY electronic, LEGO, and robotics offerings. These are the types of programs that we wanted to move to this space, opening up the meeting room to other informative (or hands-off) type programming. Staff is excited about doing more with technology and DIY, hosting sewing programs, conducting fun collaborative community projects (who wants to help color a giant coloring page?), and using the space for early literacy play.