Are you looking for your first job? Get started with these tips.
- Create a professional email address.
- Make sure you have an appropriate voicemail message on your phone.
- Clean up social media accounts or make them private.
- Watch our First Impressions Video
Type of Job
Determine what type of job you want by taking a career quiz.
Try: MCC Career Services Assessment and CareerOneStop Self-Assessment
- No job experience? Don’t worry! Include your education, volunteer experience, extracurricular activities, and relevant skills and awards.
- Watch our Work Experience Video
- Review resume samples.
- Free Career Specific Resume Samples on Indeed (account not required)
- NO typos or spelling mistakes! → Ask a family member, friend, or librarian to proofread your resume
- Free Resume Templates on Indeed (account not required)
- Free Resume Review at CAPL (formatting, spelling, and grammar only)
- Free Resume Critiques at McHenry County Workforce Network
- Ask around → Ask family members and friends if they’ve heard of any job opportunities or visit businesses and inquire directly
- Use AtoZ Business to find local companies and job openings
- Visit company websites → Look for a tab or link that says Employment, Job Openings, or Jobs
- View Job Openings Webpage Example
- Visit job search websites
McHenry County Workforce Network
Cary-Grove Area Chamber of Commerce
AtoZ Databases Tutorial
- Gather needed information like your driver’s license number, social security number, employment history, volunteer history, education, skills, references, and availability. You’re going to be filling this out…a lot!
- View a Sample Application
- Review interview questions
- Dress professionally and have good hygiene. If you’re not sure what to wear, consider what other employees are wearing. Khakis and polos? Suits and ties? Slacks and blazers? Jeans and blouses?
- Affordable Career Clothing is available at Willow Creek Care Center
- Arrive 5 minutes early
- Have questions prepared
- Research the company
- Follow-up with a thank you note
- Practice, practice, practice!
- Schedule a Mock Interview at McHenry County Workforce Network
- Watch our Common Interview Mistakes Video
- Watch our Interview Do’s and Don'ts Video
- Review interview tips on Udemy
I Got the Job! Now What?
Congratulations on getting your first job!
- Familiarize yourself with common forms you will be asked to complete for your employer’s human resources department.
- What is an I-9?
- What is a W-2?
- Do I need a work permit?
- On the job, be positive, punctual, attentive, dependable, professional, and consistent! This is the time to start building your reputation as a good employee for future opportunities.
- If you decide to leave your job, give your employer two weeks notice. It is the professional, responsible, and respectful way to leave a job and will end things on a good note. It will also reflect well when you need a reference for another job, internship, or college application.