How do I apply for a library card?
- View our Library District boundary map or check your McHenry County tax bill (or Lake County) to make sure you are in the Library District before proceeding.
- Apply for a library card by filling out this online form. You must supply a current email address or phone number so that we may contact you for follow up information about your card.
- Via email, you’ll need to provide us with a photo of a picture ID with your current name and address, or two other forms of ID with your current name and address (voter ID, mortgage or rental papers, and utility bills). Parents or legal guardians must apply for any minors under 18.
- Once verified, your card will be sent to you in the mail.
- Lastly, once you’ve received your library card, please email us a confirmation.
- Questions? Contact us.
Once you have your card
Log into your account to check your due dates, search the catalog, place holds, update your account preferences and communication methods.
- The first time you log into your Cary Area Public Library account, please enter your entire library card number, using no spaces, into the “Library Card or Username” field. Then enter the last 4 digits of the primary phone number listed on your account into the “Password” field.
- Once you’ve logged in, you are able to create a username if you would like and update your password to something secure. You may also update any contact information settings and preferences.
Other tips to get the most out of your account: