You may come in to apply in-person at the Service Center
- Bring a picture ID with your current name and address and a current piece of mail,
- Or two other forms of ID with your current name and address (voter ID, mortgage or rental papers, and utility bills).
- Parents or legal guardians must apply for any minors under 18. There is no age restriction on library cards.
You may apply for a library card online
- Fill out this form. If you apply online, you must supply a current email address or phone number so that we may contact you for follow-up information about your card.
- Via email, you’ll need to provide us with a photo of a picture ID with your current name and address, or two other forms of ID with your current name and address (voter ID, mortgage or rental papers, and utility bills).
- Once verified, your card will be sent to you in the mail.
- Once you’ve received your library card, please email us a confirmation.
Now that you have a card, set up your account & get a basic overview of the online catalog
Replacement library cards
You may replace your card at our Service Center. Please alert staff if you use downloading/streaming services, such as Libby, Axis360, and/or hoopla when seeking a replacement card. Adults need to bring in a valid ID. Children may supply staff with pertinent information. The replacement fee is $3, however, there is no charge for seniors, stolen cards, name changes, transferring from a juvenile to adult card, or for old beige cards.
Non-resident library card
If you live outside of the CAPL District and do not live within another area Library District, you may be eligible to purchase a library card at CAPL. The cost of the card is based on your tax bill and is the same formula used for in-district cardholders (meaning you will not be paying more than you would if you lived in our District). Please call us (847-639-4210, press 3) or visit the Service Center to determine your eligibility and cost. Have your current tax bill handy. If you are determined to be eligible, these are your payment options.