FOCAL is hosting a Spring Used Book Sale that will include books for all ages. Please note that a mask, covering your nose and mouth, must be worn for the duration of your visit. Social distancing and a capacity limit will be in effect as well.
Thursday, May 20, 4-7 pm
Friday, May 21, 1-4 pm
Saturday, May 22, 9 am-4 pm
FOCAL has contributed $141, 603.10 to the Library since the volunteer group began in the mid-1990s. They have funded special projects, equipment, and programs that are outside of the Library’s budget such as the new Teen Area furniture, a large format printer, Summer Reading finishing prizes, and much more. Consider joining this community-focused group!
If you shop on Amazon, consider supporting FOCAL by choosing them as your AmazonSmile charity. 0.5% of eligible purchases will benefit FOCAL at no cost to you. Read more about AmazonSmile and how it works.
Little Free Libraries
FOCAL has installed three Little Free Libraries around Cary, with help from a local Boy Scout. They are located at the Cary Park District Community Center and the Kraus Senior Center (see map below). View our slideshow to learn more about our Little Free Libraries. Learn more about Little Free Libraries.
Who we are…
The Friends of the Cary Area Library (FOCAL) is a group of community volunteers committed to supporting the library through fundraising efforts, contributing to library programs and promoting public awareness of the library and its services.
Last year, FOCAL volunteers raised over $10,000 by hosting two annual all ages Used Book Sales in April and October and the Kidtastic Used Book Sale (books for ages infants through teens) in February.
The money we raise has helped the library purchase…
- Prizes and books for youth, teen and adult reading programs
- Lego robotics sets for youth programs
- Upholstered chairs in the Teen Area
- Early literacy play area educational toys and games
- Seed Library collection
FOCAL’s efforts go beyond the walls of the library. Past and present, FOCAL continues to support and outsource used books to members of the community, schools, area nursing homes and charitable agencies.
- Each spring, we award two $500 scholarships to graduating Cary high school students.
- We maintain three Little Free Libraries in Cary. They are located at the Park District Community Center, the Kraus Senior Center, and Greenfields Park.
- FOCAL provides and organizes a display of free used books at the Cary Metra station for riders to read during their commute.
Become a Friend!
The Friends of the Cary Area Public Library (FOCAL) are always looking for new members. A Friends group can have a strong positive impact on the Library. Friends provide a source of volunteers, a source of additional funding, and serve as advocates for the Library. Apply online or fill out the brief application form at the Library. Membership is free.
When are the meetings held?
Meetings are held in the Library, typically once a month (excluding some summer months). Meeting dates are posted above and reminder emails are sent to members prior to each meeting.
What is the time commitment?
A member can volunteer for as many hours as he/she would like. We encourage attendance at all meetings to keep everyone up to date on activities.
What do members do?
There are many opportunities for a member to get involved. Some of them include the following:
Book sorting: As books are donated for sales, they need to be organized and packed up for sale storage. This is done during the library hours throughout the year.
Fundraising: Members can help out at FOCAL fundraising events.
- Publicity- post flyers of upcoming book sales in Cary area businesses; post yard signs around town the Friday prior to each sale and pick up after end of sale.
- Pre-sale- sale set up begins the week before the sale. Members help organize the tables and books in the main sales room and children’s sales room.
- Sale days- members assist sale customers, reorganize shelves.
- Post sale- assist with packing up unsold books; deliver books to local charitable organizations; sale room take down.