If you are a teen (or know a teen) looking for a way to earn volunteer hours this summer, we have two opportunities, one in-person and one online.
CAPL Volunteens’ main task is helping with Summer Reading Sign Up and other aspects of the Summer Reading Program. Ideal Volunteen applicants will be starting grades 9-12 in the fall and wish to volunteer multiple times over the summer. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, volunteens should discuss with their parents/guardians if this is a good volunteer opportunity for them. Volunteens will be required to have a permission slip filled out by their parent/guardian before their first volunteer shift. More information will be given out at the Zoom training.
Please apply by May 14, 2021 to be considered. Applicants may be contacted for a phone interview. Training will take place via Zoom on Friday, May 28 from 3:30-4:30 pm.
Write a book review for the Cary Area Library! Teens in grades 6-12 are invited to write formal book reviews to be posted on the Library website or Instagram in exchange for volunteer hours. To participate, please follow the guidelines below:
- Before writing a review, please fill out the Teen Volunteer Reviews Interest Form.
- After writing a review, your review will be examined to ensure it was written in the proper format, then you will receive your hours and the review will be posted on the Library website or Instagram.
- Reviews should be approximately 600 words and 3-4 paragraphs.
- If you would like your review to be posted on the Library’s Instagram, please include a creative, original photo featuring the book cover. Reviews submitted without photos will be posted on the Library website.
- When writing your review, please include the following:
- A plot summary of the book
- Considerations on characters and world-building
- A description of the writing style
- What type of reader would this book appeal to and why? (could be related to age, interests, style of book, etc.)
- What other books or authors are similar? Or what movies and TV shows are similar?
- How would you rate it (excellent, very good, good, not good, bad)?
- Please submit reviews to roberhauser[at]caryarealibrary.info
- Please submit reviews in a word document, PDF, or Google Doc. If you are including a photo, please submit it as a JPEG or PNG file.
Volunteer Hours Awarded
- If you review a book read on a previous occasion, you can receive 1 volunteer hour for writing the review.
- If you read a new book for the purpose of reviewing it, you will receive 1 volunteer hour for each 100 pages of the book.
- If you need a volunteer slip filled out, please send a PDF of the volunteer form to roberhauser[at]caryarealibrary.info with your final review. If the review is approved, the form will be filled out and emailed back.
Choosing a Book
Middle Grade, YA, or Adult books are all acceptable choices. If you are unsure of what to review or where to get a book, consider browsing available titles on Hoopla, Digital Library, or Axis 360.